Do you have a passion for protecting business-critical innovations through proactive patent strategy and robust execution? Do you want to work in a fast-paced setting with great colleagues, interesting challenges, and opportunities to make a real impact? Techtronic Industries North America, Inc. (TTI) is seeking a Patent Portfolio Development Manager. This is a full-time, permanent position that reports to the Group Chief IP Counsel of the IPHQ team and will be located at our Group Headquarters site in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Our IPHQ shared service team provides IP services to our talented IP colleagues and internal clients at TTI’s business units around the world. We’re looking for an exceptional, versatile Patent Portfolio Development Manager to help us fulfill this mission. The successful candidate will partner with business units to develop high-value patent portfolios across TTI’s technology footprint, helping to increase the return on TTI’s investment in innovation. Additionally, this position will develop processes and procedures related to insourced and outsourced patent work, and partner with business units on special projects directed to invention harvesting, technology, and IP analyses, training, and development of collaborative tools.
- Drive the building of patent portfolios in key technology areas to provide TTI with a competitive advantage.
- Coordinate across TTI to ensure that patent filings are fit for purpose to benefit all business units, with a view towards outbound licensing when appropriate.
- Lead or co-lead invention harvesting or brainstorming sessions with innovators drawn from multiple functional groups and/or business units.
- Build close ties with IP stakeholders across TTI, becoming a key resource on cross-platform technologies and contributor to related protection strategies.
- Drive adoption of best practices for insourced and outsourced patent activities, including invention submission and evaluation, global filing strategies, and maximizing beneficial use of TTI’s IP asset management system.
- Conduct a range of IP analyses and assessments, such as related to new product innovations or technology landscapes.
- Develop and implement recurring and ad hoc programs to encourage and incentivize innovation, such as invention challenges and inventor award programs.
- Team up with stakeholders on initiatives related to patent filing and prosecution, portfolio development and analysis, product clearance, M&A transactions, and other IP matters.
- Engage closely with TTI sites in Greenville, SC, Charlotte, NC, Brookfield, WI, Europe, and China, through virtual and in-person engagements.
- Bachelor of Science degree in electrical, computer, or mechanical engineering, though other technical or business degrees will be considered.
- Either of the following: 4+ years of hands-on, tactical IP experience in areas such as patent filing and prosecution, portfolio development and analysis, patent searching, product clearance, invention harvesting, and brand protection; or 4+ years of engineering or product management experience in a high-velocity technology setting, including involvement in the patent process and a foundational understanding of patents and patent strategy.
- Demonstrated success working collaboratively with local business units and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Fast learner, critical thinker, and creative problem solver who can navigate complex technical, legal, and business-related subject matter.
- Tech-savvy, including proficiency using Excel and other relevant software on at least an intermediate level.
- Proven track record leveraging patent prosecution to achieve business objectives.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to integrate detailed and big-picture thinking, and to help transform concepts into realities.
- Able to multitask in a fast-paced environment and open to tackling new types of projects.
- Humble, curious, capable, and driven professional who thrives on teamwork, challenging projects, and career development opportunities.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their resumes via email to the Group Recruiting Manager, Jessica Dotto.
Please mention you found the position on the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities™ Job Board.
About Techtronic Industries Inc (TTI):
TTI is a USD $9+ billion global leader in quality consumer and professional products with a portfolio of world-renowned brands including Milwaukee™, AEG™, Ryobi™, Homelite™, Hoover™, Dirt Devil™, Oreck™, VAX™, Empire™, Imperial Blades™, Stiletto™, and Hart™. Motivated by four strategic drivers—Powerful Brands, Innovative Products, Exceptional People, and Operational Excellence—we offer competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package including tuition assistance, 401(k), medical/dental/vision coverage, vacation, and holidays.